Kyle Locklin, stylist at Aurelio Salon (Howell and Toms River, NJ), had a client who wanted a "rooty" ombré. “She was a level 6 with level 7 and 8 highlights, but her natural base level was a 5. She wanted minimal upkeep, so I though about the colors in a Monarch Butterfly and it inspired me,” says Locklin. Get the steps to recreate this color, below.
- Goldwell Top Chic 5nn with equal parts 10 volume
- Goldwell Oxycur 10 and 20 volume
- Glaze for for mid-shaft: Goldwell Colorance 8BA
- Glaze for ends: Goldwell Colorance 9BA
- Apply 5nn as a regular re-touch and then dramatically fan the color down into the mid-shaft.
- Next, use a wide tooth comb to distribute color and ensure everything is blended smoothly.
- Weave out the hair to be lightened using a board (back of the hand also works) and paint Goldwell Oxycur Lightener onto the hair using a V technique.
- Then, use the leftover root touch formula and feather it into the lightener to avoid any harsh lines.
- After processing, shampoo with Goldwell Color Fade Stop Shampoo.
- Glaze with 2 separate formulas: for the mid-shaft, use Goldwell Colorance 8BA and Goldwell Colorance 9BA for the ends for a smooth gradient look.
[Image courtesy of Glow Communications]