1. My Son's Art: You can’t watch my 14-year-old son, Emmett, create his abstract paintings and not be inspired. I love the result, but it’s his process that I find the most awe-inspiring—freeform expression from an intriguing young mind. (emmettkyoshiart.com)
2. Our Industry: The very notion that we could create art that directly impacts the way clients feel about themselves is what drove me to do what we do.
3. Architecture:The idea that foundation and structure pave the way to a timeless creative statement is as fascinating as it is inspiring.
4. My Teams: From our apprentices to our veteran stylists, barbers and colorists, the extraordinary work that’s crafted from everyone at Art+Science Salon (Evanston, Illinois) teaches and inspires me as much as our collective commitment to excellence. Additionally, the collaborative methodology that drives the American Crew all-star team inspires through a global influence and an unwavering desire to be the best at what we do.
5. Drawing: Drawing unlocks my creativity. Having a pencil in my hand and thinking about what I want to see sends me down a path of putting my thoughts into actions.
6. Japanese Culture: Tradition and discipline underscore the Japanese culture, but it’s also the creative soul of the language, the martial arts and the expression of fashion from the youth street scene that are all sources of inspiration.
–As told to Alyson Osterman-Kerr
[Images: Courtesy of American Crew; Paul Wilson; Unsplash]