On January 29, 2017 at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Philippines, Iris Mittenaere, Miss France was crowned the 65th Miss Universe. Farouk Systems, the official haircare sponsor for the past 12 years, created her winning look with the company’s Global Artistic Team Member, Anna Cantu.
Prior to and during the live telecast, Farouk Systems artistic team members were on site to provide the 86 contestants with the multiple style changes needed using both CHI and Miss Universe Style Illuminate products. Hairstyling sessions included their glamor shots and different looks for preliminary judging, on-site pre-taped events, dress rehearsal as well as each phase of the live judging. To help coordinate the styling process, Global Artistic Team Member, Tammy Mixon who has been in charge of the Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen Pageants, assisted each team member and contestant with their numerous hair changes.
On hand to represent Farouk Systems was Founder and Chairman, Farouk Shami who proudly congratulated Iris Mittenaere on being the newly crowned Miss Universe. Hosting the night’s pageant was Steve Harvey along with Ashley Graham. Celebrity judges helping with the final decision included: Dayanara Torres, Mickey Boardman, Sushmita Sen, Francine LeFrak, Cynthia Bailey & Leila Lopes. While the evening’s entertainment included Flo Rida and Boyz II Men.
According to CEO, Farouk Shami, “Our company proudly supports these young women who have shown strength and passion in their fields to make a difference. Their united voice serves as an example of how everyone should encourage and be supportive of each other.”
To achieve the crowning look, Farouk Systems Global Artistic Team Member, Anna Cantu provides her styling tips:
- Prep Hair with Miss Universe by CHI Moringa & Macadamia Oil and Miss Universe by CHI Flexible Hold Hairspray
- Section the hair into 4 parts (top, sides and back)
- Staring at the back followed by the remaining sections, curl 1 inch sections with the Miss Universe by CHI 1” Titanium Curling Iron. Pin the curls to cool and set for 5 mins.
- Release curls and gently break up with your fingers.
- Tease hair at the roots, creating volume and lift at the crown.
- Create a deep side part pulling all hair to one side. Pin at the nape of the neck to hold in place.
- Next, spray with Miss Universe by CHI Firm Hairspray to set the style.
- Finish with Miss Universe by CHI Spotlight Shine Spray.