For over a decade, Farouk Systems has gone behind the scenes at the Miss Universe pageant, creating winning looks for the hopeful contestants. This year was no exception, as stylists went backstage with both CHI and Miss Universe Style Illuminate products to help this year's winner, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach of the Philippines, on her way to being crowned the 64th Miss Universe on December 20, 2015 at Las Vegas’s Planet Hollywood.
Beginning on November 30th, Global Artistic Team Member Tammy Mixon led a team of stylists in providing the 80 contestants with CHI Haircare products and services before they took to the Miss Universe stage. Mixon has been in charge of the Miss Universe, Miss USA and Miss Teen Pageants, assisting in coordinating the looks with each team member and contestants.
During the crowning ceremony, Farouk Systems Founder and Chairman, Farouk Shami, was in attendance, proudly congratulating Wurtzbach upon her win. Wurtzbach's winning look was created by Farouk Systems Master Level Artist, Lauren Young, who's inspiration for the "CHI-gnon" came from Wurtzbach's elegant blue gown and a desire to highlight her delicate bone structure.
Get the Look:
- To create the look, Lauren prepped the hair with CHI Dry Shampoo and Conditioner to freshen her final look of the evening.
- She sprayed CHI Magnified Volume Extra Firm Hair Spray through the hair to provide control and added volume, then brushed the hair into a sleek, low ponytail.
- Next, Lauren took a small section from the ponytail and wrapped it around the base of the band, securing with bobby pins to cover the band.
- Then, she applied a filler piece shaped into a crescent and secured with pins. She applied a small amount of CHI Pliable Polish to the ponytail, took sections and swept them up and over the filler, securing with additional bobby pins.
- To finish the look, she sprayed with Miss Universe Style Illuminate’s Spotlight Shine Spray for added glisten.
According to Farouk Systems' CEO, Basim Shami, “It is our longstanding goal to help young women from around the world achieve their goals. We encourage them to live their dreams and make a difference in the world today. The new Miss Universe, Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, is a prime example of strength, professionalism as well as beauty.”