While the 78th Golden Globe Awards may have resembled your Monday morning Zoom meeting, nominees and presenters still put their best hair forward for the virtual event.
From blunt bobs to mile-long braids to iconic Hollywood waves, these were the top hairstyles from the 2021 Golden Globe Awards.
Amy Poehler, who acted as the evening’s co-host alongside Tina Fey, donned creamy blonde locks created by Redken celebrity colorist Tracey Cunningham (@traceycunningham1). Cunningham explained, “Hosting the Golden Globes is such a huge accomplishment and I wanted Amy’s hair to really pop on stage. Amy’s color is the perfect, creamy blonde and it accentuates her natural beauty. I refreshed Amy’s highlights for that extra brightness and gave her a Redken Shades EQ Gloss to perfect her creamy, blonde tone and add a beautiful, shiny finish.”
To achieve Poehler’s blonde shade, Cunningham used the following formula:
- Highlight Formula: 2 oz. Redken Flash Lift + 2 oz. Redken Pro-Oxide Developer 30 Volume
- Root Formula (Zone 1): 1 oz. Redken Shades EQ 09N + 1 oz. Redken Shades EQ 09NB; Process with 2 oz. Redken Shades EQ Processing Solution
To style Poehler’s wavy locks, hairstylist Kylee Heath (@kyleeheathhair) reached for a variety of Philip B products.
- Heath applied the Phillip B weightless conditioning water to prep and add shine before blowing out Poehler’s hair with the Olivia Garden OGE-BT45 round brush, which helped to smooth and add volume. Heath used the Thermal Protection Spray to prime and shield during styling.
- Heath created a center part by starting from the bottom and working up from the back of the head. She added a wave using the Olivia Garden Ceramic+Ion brush and curled 1¼-inch sections away from the face.
- To set the hair, Heath sprayed Philip B Jet Set hairspray.
- With an Olivia Garden Carbosilk CS-T1 comb, Heath teased the roots around the crown and tucked the front behind her ears. She brushed out Poehler’s waves (“The key is to brush under with the brush bristles facing up!”) and then gave a final light tease.
- Philip B. Lovin' Pomade was used to achieve a luminous shine and to help with any fly always.
- Heath finished the look with a spray of Philip B.’s Russian Amber Dry Shampoo for texture and lift to achieve “a gleaming finish that was soft but not too heavy.”
Susan Kelechi Watson
Celebrity hairstylist Vernon François gave Susan Kelechi Watson a sleek bob for her moment on the Golden Globe stage.
To achieve the look:
- Cleanse and condition hair using Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo and Conditioner. François’ pro tip: Leave the conditioner on for 10 minutes while massaging the scalp, then rinse off.
- Apply Redken Acidic Perfecting Concentrate Leave-In for heat protection and to strengthen hair. François’ pro tip: Use the versatile product for blow-drying and for perfecting the natural curl pattern.
- Blow-dry the hair using a round brush.
- When it came to cutting Kelechi Watson's hair, François explained, “As a hairdresser, I have my own technique, usually cutting hair freehand while it’s dry.”
- Part the hair in a deep side part.
- Spritz Redken Deep Clean Dry Shampoo onto the mid-lengths and ends of the hair to break it up and give a soft, fluffy feel, before blasting with a hairdryer.
- Add soft bends to the length with a curling iron using a medium/medium-high heat, then, spritz Redken Shine Flash all over for a high-gloss finish.
- If desired, use a hair elastic to secure hair into a low ponytail.
- Finish with an all-over spritz of Redken Triple Take 32 Hairspray.
Gregory Russell (@gregoryrussellhair), Pureology global artistic ambassador, styled double- award nominee Anya Taylor-Joy’s sleek blonde Hollywood waves using a variety of Pureology products.
According to Russell:
- I started with Anya’s damp hair by applying Pureology Instant Levitation Mist along her root around hairline and Pureology Weightless Volume Mousse from root to ends. I distributed the product evenly throughout by using my detangling brush.
- With my GHD Helios Hair Dryer and a round brush, I created a mohawk section on top for volume, and then switched to my vent brush and continued to blow dry her sides and back straight to maintain a soft texture and bounce.
- For the final process, I worked in two sections. The first section was from her ear forward and I sprayed each subsection with Pureology Soft Finish Hairspray. After spraying, I used my 1 1/4” GHD CURVE Soft Curl Iron and gave complete curls, setting each with a flat clip. From here, I moved to our back section and continued to use Pureology Soft Finish Hairspray with each section.
- I used the NEW GHD Max Flat Iron (launching 3/1) to smooth and seal her roots and mid-lengths, leaving out her ends. After flat ironing, I took my 1 1/4” GHD CURVE Soft Curl Iron and curled from the bottom up, stopping after two complete rotations around the iron.
- I emulsified a pearl-size amount of Pureology Shine Bright Taming Serum in my hands and lightly smoothed her ends and face frame. Then spritzing the spray directly onto my porcupine cushion brush, I softly brushed through the back.
- To lock our look in, I sprayed Pureology Lock It Down Spray all over her hair.
Russell also gave Lily Collins a retro wavy look with his arsenal of Pureology products.
- Starting on Lily’s damp hair, I applied Pureology Weightless Volume Mousse in sections brushing through each with my Conair Detangling Brush to evenly distribute the product from root to tips.
- For our blowout, my initial focus was using the Conair Double Ceramic round brush and GHD Helios Professional Blow Dryer around her face and on top of her head to smooth and tame any flyaways. I then switched to my Conair Double Ceramic Vent Brush and continued to blow dry through the back to maintain a soft texture and bounce.
- In small sections, I applied Pureology Soft Finish Hairspray and brushed through using the Conair Diamond Ceramic Porcupine Cushion Brush. With each section, I curled with my 1-inch GHD Classic Curl Iron, setting each curl with a flat clip after. This allows the curls to cool, which gives us all-day hold and bounce.
- Once cooled, working from the nape up, I carefully removed each clip and in horizontal sections sprayed her curls with Pureology Texture Finishing Spray and worked through the curls with the Conair Diamond Ceramic Porcupine Cushion Brush, which is what gave us our desired soft, bouncy romantic finish.
- For our final step and to lock it all in place, I sprayed Pureology Lock It Down Spray.
Angela Bassett opted for a stunning thigh-length braid styled by celebrity hairstylist Randy Stodghill (@hairjunkierandy).
According to Stodghill:
- I spritzed her hair with PhytoVolume Volumizing Blow Dry Spray because I wanted to maintain its fullness.
- I then used PhytoSpecific Thermoperfect to protect her hair from the blow-drying and curling irons.
- I applied PhytoSpecific Moisturizing Styling Cream and PhytoSpecific Baobab Oil from the root to ends, leaving the hair really soft and smooth.
- I then put her hair into a sleek low ponytail, added extensions for more drama, and, for a sleek polished look, I used a few drops of PhytoSpecific Baobab Oil over the finished look for a deeper shine.
For Hayek’s romantic curls, celebrity hairstylist (@jennifer_yepez) applied UNITE Hair products to her lovely locks.
Yepez provided the following instructions to achieve this look:
- Start with damp hair and apply UNITE’s 7SECONDS Detangler from mid-shaft to ends.
- Apply two pumps of U Oil mostly on the ends.
- Spritz hair with BOOSTA Volumizing Spray from the roots to the mid-shaft.
- After applying all the products, start blow-drying with a medium round brush by making clean sections at the nape and working your way up.
- Once the hair is nice and sleek, make sections once again starting at the nape and clipping up the hair.
- Using a 1 ¾-inch curling iron, take 1-inch sections and wrap the hair around the curling iron starting at the root and leaving the ends out.
- Wrap one section going downwards and the following section upwards. When framing the face, wave one section downwards and then wave the following section away from the face. Once you are done waving all of the hair, take a large tooth comb and comb all of the hair. Do not brush the hair as that will give a different look.
- Comb out all the hair and make sure there is a clean middle part. Spray all the flyaways and clean the hairline with GO365 Hairspray.
- After spraying the hair in place, finish off the look with 7SECONDS Glossing Spray just at the ends to give a beautiful shine to the waves.
Richard Marin (@richardmarin) styled Renée Zellweger’s delightfully undone hair look with Matrix products.
According to Marin:
- After washing, prep the hair with Matrix Miracle Creator Multi-Tasking Hair Treatment.
- When the hair has taken in the hair treatment, apply Matrix High Amplify Foam Volumizer all over before blow-drying.
- Dry the hair upside down for maximum volume.
- To finish with a loose sexy, undone but chic look, spray Matrix Total Results Miss Mess Dry Finishing Spray all over to prolong volume with a light hold.
Shira Haas opted for a classic updo created by Mara Roszak (@mararoszak). Roszak worked with Matrix products when styling the look.
To achieve Haas’ timeless updo, Roszak provided the following tips:
- Start with damp hair and creating a side part to give a more modern, cool look. Then blow dry hair smooth with a medium natural-bristle round brush. After blow-drying, used the Matrix High Amplify Dry Shampoo to add a soft texture to the hair, before putting it up.
- Leaving the front sides out, put the back of the hair into a ponytail and secured tightly with an elastic. Then take each side of the hair and wrap it around the elastic and pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Next, using Matrix Total Results Miss Mess Dry Finishing Spray on the front and side to smooth the hair. Matrix Total Results Miss Mess finishing spray helps prolong the shape you’re trying to achieve with a light hold.
- Then gently twist the ponytail into an imperfect bun allowing pieces to fall out, creating texture. Use the Matrix High Amplify Dry Shampoo again to create hold.
- Lastly, to tame any flyaways around the head, use Matrix StyleLink Shape Switcher Molding Paste.
Kayley Cuoco’s laid-back, blonde beach waves were styled by Christine Symonds (@Christine Symonds) using Clairol products.
According to Symonds:
- Prep hair with Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Shampoo and Conditioner to remove any brassy dull tones.
- Once the hair is cleansed and conditioned prep the locks with Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Leave in Styling Treatment.
- Spray the damp strands with Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Thermal Shine Spray to protect from heat damage while enhancing shine and providing an anti-frizz and touchable soft finish.
- Rough dry the hair using the T3 Fit Blow Dryer.
- Once the hair is mostly dry, section your hair in three horizontal sections and start round brushing your hair with a large round brush, I prefer the T3 volume 3.0 ceramic brush. Make sure to focus the heat on the root and over direct the hair up to the ceiling to create volume.
- Tip for added volume: Clip in Hidden Crown Hair extensions for the most seamless and natural texture and volume. Make sure to backcomb each section at the root before you place your Hidden Crown clip in extension for the most secure hold.
- For glossy bouncy waves, use the T3 CURL ID 1 1/4 curling iron. For a uniform wave, curl in the same direction. For a more undone texture alternate the direction of the curl.
- For any ends that look unfinished, use the T3 LUCEA ID flat iron to seal and add shine.
- Finish the look with a mist of the Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Thermal shine spray for extra shine and vibrancy.
Cynthia Nixon rocked a voluminous look styled by Peter Butler (@peterbutlerhair).
Use the following steps to achieve Nixon’s look:
- Cleanse and condition hair using Redken Acidic Bonding Concentrate Shampoo and Conditioner.
- Apply a dime-sized amount of Redken Acidic Perfecting Concentrate Leave-In for heat protection and to strengthen hair.
- Blow-dry using a vent brush for volume.
- Spritz Redken Triple Dry 15 all over for soft texture and body. Tousle the hair with your fingertips.
- Curl 1-inch sections of hair back with a 1-inch curling iron. Allow hair to cool.
- Once cool, comb out the lengths with spritzes of Redken Deep Clean Dry Shampoo to help the look last and add a bit of additional dry texture.
- Mist Redken Shine Flash all over for a high-gloss finish then set the look with a few spritzes of Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray.