Late '90s and Y2K styles are making a big return in the beauty industry.
With the return of oversized crop tops, wide legged pants, and chunky loafers, your clients are going to want a hairstyle to compliment their retro choices. Look no further than a current hair trend: a high, twisted and tight bun with a 90s finish. This smaller shape of this look compliments the fuller silhouettes that are a prominent part of Y2K fashion trends.
“This glossy knotted style can easily be adapted for trend forward guests, as well as those looking for relevant special occasion styles,” shares Sam Villa Brand Ambassador Lindsey Olson (@lindsey.marie.olson).
Below, Olson shares her tips for bringing this sleek updo to life.
- Spraying each section with thermal spray and positioning a finishing brush really close to the head while trailing the blow dryer and directionally blow drying helps create a sleek, tight, high-polish finish. It pushes hair close to the scalp while smoothing the cuticle.
- Directing hair on the sides up higher than the cheek bones is really flattering.
- Sectioning hair into multiple ponytails and then joining them together is what creates the tight controlled shape and surface.
- Use an elastic cord and butcher’s knots for a bump-free tight ponytail.
- Twisting the two sections of the final ponytail in opposite directions before wrapping around the base of the tail forms more detail to the look.