Confession: When someone offers me chocolate, I can't say no.
So when I was offered a dye job that would resemble chocolate—in the spirit of fall 2013's dimensional brunette trend—I was way too elated by the prospect to suggest anything else. I was fortunate enough to be in the chair of I.C.O.N. Lab Salon's very own Crystil Olsen, a stylist and educator who's worked with the brand for nine (!) years. And not only that, I got to experience I.C.O.N.'s new ECOTECH permanent haircolor, a creamy and ammonia-free formula with vibrant and rich capabilities. The ingredients?
- Vitamins A, C and E, which defend the tresses
- Soothing chamomile—not just for tea anymore!
- Ginkgo biloba, which offers hypoallergenic properties
- Moisturizing and strengthening panthenol—so she can look like she belongs in those Pantene commercials
- Aloe, which invigorates and heals
- Salvia—a natural moisturizer that refreshes
- And sunflower, which conditions and lends antioxidant protection.
The results don't lie. Crystil explained to me that previously, she was beyond attached to I.C.O.N.'s standby color, Stained Glass. She loved using it, and let's face it—if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But Crystil gave ECOTECH a shot, and it turned out it was easy to formulate and blend, offered immense control and even smelled great (no harsh fumes!). As for me, I was thrilled to pieces when Crystil suggested a "melted chocolate" look—all shades of chocolate, from light to dark, blended in a dimensional take on brunette. And I loved how it turned out! Check out my before and after.