Mary J. Blige wowed in her silver J. Mendel dress on the carpet, and gave an incredible performance with Sam Smith at the 2015 Grammy Awards. She paired both of her Grammy looks with a subtle nail look, courtesy of celebrity manicurist Kimmie Kyess. Kyess gave Blige a sleek manicure with SpaRitual's Reminisce, a warm, neutral hue.
Ladies weren't the only ones stepping out with perfectly-groomed nails on the Grammys' red carpet. Keeping up appearances may seem simple for Hollywood's leading men, but grooming is no walk in the park when it comes to getting award show-ready.
Celebrity and fashion manicurist, Deborah Lippmann, worked with Common to give him perfectly-groomed hands for his strut on the red carpet, Grammy acceptance, and “Glory” performance. “I’m 100% sure Common is not the only man having a manicure, which usually entails just perfect grooming and massage for the hands and nails," says Lippmann. "In fact, it’s one of the things that often goes unspoken about and flies under the radar, but in fact is really, really important. I’ve found that men actually enjoy the treatment a little more than women, because women tend to do it so frequently. But after getting a manicure, they tend to feel better about their hands and will ultimately be more expressive.”
When it comes to men's manicures, the main question is to shine, or not to shine. “This will always depend," says Lippman. "Here, Common was wearing Givenchy, which was very chic and sophisticated. He has really nice nails and doesn’t seem like the shine or nail polish kind of guy, so going for a perfect buffed, non-shine nail felt like the right fit for him.”
Get the Look:
1. Cleanse - For fast, effortless grime removal, use The Stripper To Go. To clean each of the nails, place your index finger inside the mitt and brush over each nail of the opposite hand. Tip: Always use a cleanser/remover that has hydrating properties like lavender and aloe to avoid stripping away natural oils and proteins.
2. Shape - Shape the nail so it mirrors the cuticle. For a natural-looking nail, use a nail file to smooth and file the nail plate on an angle so you can see it from each side. Remember to use gentle motions to prevent breakage.
3. Exfoliate - To create a beautiful buff, use the Smooth Operator 4-Way Nail Buffer. This all-in-one exfoliator offers four unique fabrics to make grooming as easy as 1,2,3. Side 1 works to smooth away dullness, Side 2 buffs away ridges and Side 3 smoothens the nail. If opting for a natural buffed look, finish with side 4 to reveal an unbelievable shine. Tip: Use this 4-way nail buffer once a week to lightly dust over each nail. Each fabric is made of gentle materials, so use a light hand and you won’t damage your nails.
4. Treat - One of the most important steps, treatment softens and hydrates the nails and cuticles. Remove dead skin from nails by applying the Cuticle Remover anywhere the skin meets the nail. Gently push back cuticles with a cuticle pusher, using small circular movements and working from corner to corner.
5. Finish - Then, wipe nails clean and complete the treatment process by rubbing a drop of the nourishing Cuticle Oil onto the base of each nail and then layer it with The Cure for the ultimate nourishing cuticle repair.
[Images: Getty Images/Jeff Vespa]