Celebrity stylist Ted Gibson worked with actress Lupita Nyong'o for last night's 72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards. Says Gibson, "what a beauty! Lupita wore a regal Giambattista Valli couture gown, so we both felt this afro would complement the look perfectly. Her afro is super powerful, regal and chic. I love working with Lupita because it’s really fun coming together to figure out what her look will be. We listened to some really amazing music last night and had a blast before she was ready to walk the red carpet!"
Get the Look:
1. Says Gibson, "I first prepped her hair with warm towels to add moisture to her natural hair. This soothes the scalp and starts to relax her before the red carpet. It also softens her curls to make them more manageable.
2. "I then applied Kerastase Elixir Ultime, L’Oreal Professionnel’s Gelee Cashmere and Leonor Greyl’s Serum de Soie Sublimateur for shine, frizz control, moisture and added texture. Girls with natural hair complain about the same things – the mix of these products gave me the texture I needed to create her look.
3. "Next, I attached extensions to her hair for added volume and body using L’Oreal Professionnel’s Texture Expert Or Graphic Modelling Gel. I then blew her hair dry to ensure that the gel was set.
4. "After attaching the extensions I cut it into this amazing shape. I then molded and pressed her hair into its shape. I wanted her hair to resemble a crown.
5. "To make sure she was red carpet-ready, I sprayed her hair with L'Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold and she was off!"
[Image: Getty Images/Jason Merritt]