One of the latest hair trends to take social media by storm is the mohawk braid. Stylists, like Karen Agostino of Di Rosa Haircare in New York, are sharing their work on Instagram, helping the style to become increasingly popular. “This is an example of how using social media can create demand for something,” says Patrick McIvor, Artistic & TechniCulture Director for Goldwell and KMS California.
“I’m very active on social media, I try to be consistent with my posts and gear it towards showcasing my work to attract new clients,” says Agostino. Below, she shares tips on how to recreate her signature mohawk braid!
Get the Look:
1. Take a triangle section on top, lightly tease for height, then split in two.
2. Start a fishtail braid, taking the outer piece on the right and go under and into the center to the left section. Repeat on the left side.
3. Take a section on the right from the loose hair and go under and to the center of the left side.
4. Take a small piece of hair from the right side hair in hands and take it under and to the center of the left. Continue until all hair is in a fishtail Dutch braid.
5. Go back to a regular fishtail braid and secure with a loose elastic.
6. Start loosening the braid from the top, bring it upward and secure with bobby pins. Continue loosening and pinning to create the desired Mohawk effect.
7. Either pin up the fishtail end or loosen and leave down.
Trends may come and go, but this look is fun and perfect for any occasion, from date night to a wedding or prom!
[Images courtesy of Glow Communications]