the music video for their single, Sleeping With a Friend, alternative rock group Neon Trees conceptualized a surrealist fantasy fun house straight out of the ’80s. Hairstylist Candice Birns was on set to make sure their hair also had the same retro feeling. References like Peter Gabriel, Annie Lennox and Flock of Seagulls were present as Candice conceptualized each style. “The base for each look is really just a great cut,” Candice said. “For an all day shoot like this, we used a lot of Superfine Strong Hair Spray to make sure everything stayed in place.”
Get Chris’ Look:
1. Apply a golf ball-sized plume of Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse to damp hair and blow-dry with a tiny round brush. “The round brush helped me to create the ridge on the side of his hair and bring out the natural curl,” Candice said.
2. Apply a small amount of Fiber Groom Elastic Texture Paste throughout the top and Rock Hard Gel to hold the sides in place.
3. Finish with Superfine Strong Hair Spray.
Get Elaine’s Look:
1. Apply Grandiose Hair Plumping Mousse to damp hair and blow out with a round brush.
2. Once hair is dry, spray Thick Dry Finishing Spray from roots to ends to give hair body. Tease hair all over, focusing on the crown. “Elaine has a really funky haircut, so we wanted her look to have a lot of movement to show it off,” Candice said.
3. Finish with a light mist of Superfine Strong Hair Spray.
Get Tyler’s Look:
1. Comb a good amount of Rock Hard Gel through dry hair.
2. Shape hair into place. Finish with a layer of Superfine Strong Hair Spray. “Tyler likes his hair to look and feel almost like plastic, so we used a lot of Superfine Strong Hair Spray,” Candice said.
Get Branden’s Look:
1. Apply a dime-sized amount of Gel Sérum to damp hair and rough-dry hair up to create lift at the root.
2. Rub a small amount of Fiber Groom Elastic Texture Paste into hands and run through hair to create piecyness and texture.
3. Finish with Superfine Strong Hair Spray to hold in place all day.
Watch the music video HERE!
[Image courtesy of Oribe]