Contrary to popular belief, hair loss is not exclusive to men. In fact, according to the American Hair Loss Association, women make up 40% of American hair-loss sufferers. With that staggering statistic in mind, Beauty Launchpad spoke with celebrity hair stylist Linh Nguyen (@linhhair) about the products he recommends to clients that are battling hair loss, as well as tips and tricks for daily hair care and styling.
In August 2020, Alyssa Milano, a client and friend of Nguyen’s, tweeted a video documenting her struggle with hair loss after battling COVID-19. As a way of helping Milano address her hair loss, Nguyen recommended a hair regrowth and maintenance routine that is comprised of several Nioxin products.
Products in the routine include:
- Nioxin System Kit 6
- Nioxin Deep Protect Density Mask
- Nioxin Minoxidil Topical Solution
- Nioxin Night Density Rescue
- Nioxin Purifying Exfoliator
- Nioxin Recharging Complex
To accompany these products in the fight against hair loss, Nguyen offered a variety of daily hair care and styling tips for women to utilize.
4 Hair Care Tips to Fight Hair Loss
- Invest in a silk pillowcase to help avoid hair breakage.
- When in the shower, brush the conditioner through the hair with a wet brush.
- Purchase a boar bristle brush for thin-to-normal hair, or a boar bristle blend with nylon bristles for thick hair.
- When brushing the hair, start from the ends and work your way up.
7 Styling Tips to Fight Hair Loss
- When hair is worn up, avoid using elastic hair bands; rather, opt for accessories with a protective covering like a scrunchie. Nguyen also suggested silicone hair bands.
- Avoid constantly wearing hair up in a rubber band. The tension of this hairstyle may cause breakage.
- Gently remove hair accessories to avoid pulling out strands of hair.
- Fabric-covered headbands can help give extra protection.
- Avoid wearing metal clips.
- When cutting hair, a clean crisp bob with one length can add to the visual effect of more hair density.
- Hair color can have a big impact on the appearance of thinning hair. Nguyen suggests opting for colors from a Level 4 to a Level 8 for a base range before adding highlights or balayage on the ends.
Nguyen concluded by saying that the first step in fighting hair loss is being correctly educated about the hair products and brushes that are designed to help the issue. He also urged to get educated about how diet affects overall hair and scalp health as well as how different styling products impact the hair, including the overuse of dry shampoo.
“There are so many women who are afraid of hair loss and are almost ashamed to talk about it. I think it’s a shame that it is not more of an open story. Alyssa did a great job of opening that conversation,” he said.