One of the biggest trends to dominate the Spring/Summer 2016 Fashion Week runways was 1970s fashion, with a nod to the era cropping up in the form of modernized takes on tie-dye prints. PRAVANA guest artist Rickey Zito was inspired both by this, and the rainbow hair trend that's been favored by celebrities and trendsetters all year, leading him to create this gorgeous, rainbow tie-dye hair color.
Using VIVIDS Locked-In shades, Rickey demonstrates how to do the far-out tie-dye look with a unique technique in the video below:
Get the Look:
1. Pre-lighten the hair to a level 10 with Pure Light Power Lightener and your choice of developer.
2. Section the dry hair off into 2-4” square blocks. Tie an elastic hair band loosely at the bee of the sections.
3. Loosely tie cloth over the elastic hair bands. This leaves a portion of the hair uncolored.
4. Mix colors:
- Orange – 2 parts VIVIDS Locked-In Yellow: 1 part VIVIDS Locked-In Red + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Purple – VIVIDS Locked-In Purple + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Yellow – VIVIDS Locked-In Yellow + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Lime Green – 1 part VIVIDS Locked-In : 1 part VIVIDS Locked-In Teal + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Pink – VIVIDS Locked-In Pink + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Teal – VIVIDS Locked-In Teal + dot of VIVIDS Clear
- Red – VIVIDS Locked-In Red + dot of VIVIDS Clear
5. Apply 1-2 colors in each section. If you use 2 colors, blend every so slightly where they meet.
6. Continue working up the head.
7. Process at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
8. Rinse thoroughly with no fear of transfer thanks to VIVIDS Locked-In. Use VIVIDS Color Protect after care. Style as desired.