Obliphica Professional's John Blaine shares how to create the glamorous retro Hollywood look seen on Dita Von Teese.
DITA's GREAT GATSBY COIFFURE
1. "All beautiful styles start with healthy hair," says John.
2. To get maximum shine and long lasting waves, prep your hair with a moisturizing, replenishing, and UV protecting shampoo and conditioner. John recommends (and Dita uses) Obliphica Professional's Intensive Nourishing Shampoo and Hair Mask.
3. Mix two drops of Obliphica Professional's Treatment Serum with your favorite styling cream and evenly distribute throughout damp locks. This will help soften your hair while adding extra shine and hold without stiffness. If you don't have a favorite styling product, the Treatment Serum works great by itself.
3. Blow dry two-inch sections with a boar bristle round brush. Begin with under-most layers of the hair, curling the brush under the strands to create a voluminous bounce and inward curl at the ends.
4. If you want to be authentic, use rollers! Take one inch sections of hair and wrap them around curling barrels no bigger than 1 inch. John's secret tip: The section of hair should never exceed the size of the rollers.
5. Beginning at the front of your head and at the level of your temple, place the roller under the one-inch section and begin rolling downward toward the tips.
6. Hold in place using a bobby pin or clip, and spritz a small amount of heat activated hairspray to the curl.
7. Repeat steps five and six with the lower layers of your hair.
8. As you move toward the back of your head, begin to strategically drop the starting point of your roller to create a continuos diagonal wave.
9. Once the head is crowned in rollers, set the curls by using a hairdryer on low. This will activate the hairspray for long lasting hold.
10. Gently remove the rollers one by one, beginning at the undermost layers, and apply one last light layer of hairspray for hold.
11. Use a bobby pin to pull back a wave or two, or pin a tight curl above the ear.
FOR THE MAKEUP
LIPS: Hollywood Red Lip Palette (From Skinn Cosmetics, www.skinn.com)
EYES: Precision Felt Tip Eyeliner in Jet Black (From Skinn Cosmetics, SRP $18 , www.skinn.com)
FACE: Plasma Foundation (for a perfect matte finish) (From Skinn Cosmetics, SRP $28 , www.skinn.com)
[Images courtesy of Kip Morrison and Associates]