Iconic hairstylist Oribe sculpted and smoothed January Jones’ hair into an edgy updo for the May cover of W. “January’s hair is a modified bob, so this style was perfect for her” explained Oribe behind the scenes at the cover shoot. “We started out with a rockabilly look, then I roughed up a few pieces in front to give it an edge.” Now, Oribe shares step‐by‐step, how to get the tough yet chic cover look.
How to Get the Look:
1. Start off by adding volume. I blow‐dried January’s hair using Oribe Volumista and a round brush. It’s most important to build height at the front.
2. Next, separate the top from the sides. You’ll need to work with a 3 to 4 inch section on top of the hair.
3. Take the sides of your hair and pull them back and upward to form a tiny ponytail at the center crown. Secure with a rubber band. Keep the sides really tight, and lock the hair into place with Oribe Superfine Strong Hair Spray.
4. Use the top section of hair to cover the ponytail and rubber band.
5. Apply a beach wave or texturizing spray like my Dry Texturizing Spray, concentrating on the top section of the hair. You want to enhance the texture of the hair and emphasize any natural wave.
6. For a rockabilly style, leave the top section of the hair more polished. For an edgier take, pull a few pieces out or to the side, and rough it up a little.
Images courtesy of Oribe.