California Regulatory Update
- What fee relief is being provided to the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology licensees?
Governor Newsom signed a Legislative Package providing urgent relief to Californians experiencing pandemic hardship and as part of that package, Board of Barbering and Cosmetology license renewal fees will be waived for all licenses that expire in calendar years 2021 and 2022.
- How much are the renewal fees that are being waived?
Every establishment/salon owner pays a renewal fee of $40 every 2 years and individuals performing services at each establishment pay a license renewal fee of $50 every 2 years.
- Will all licensees receive a renewal fee waiver?
The fee relief applies to all license renewals; this includes over 560,000 individuals and over 53,000 establishments.
- When will the waiver go into effect?
On February 23, 2021 the Governor signed a Legislative package which included Senate Bill 94. During the first week of March 2021, the Board began sending out renewed licenses for licensees that had license expiration dates in January 2021, February 2021, March 2021 and April 2021, and have not paid the fees. For licenses expiring from May 2021 through December 2022, the renewed licenses will be mailed out approximately 83 days prior to the expiration date. Licensees are encouraged to update their address but do not need to do anything in order to receive the renewed license.
- How will licensees apply for the fee relief?
The fee waivers will be automatic for all license renewals. There is no application. The Board will issue new licenses prior to the license expiration date.
- What if I already paid my fee for my license that expired in 2021?
Your renewal date will be extended until January 1, 2025 so you will not have to pay for your next renewal period.
- My renewal fee was due January 31, 2021. Do I need to pay it?
Licensees do not need to pay renewal fees that are due in 2021 or 2022.
- I already paid my 2021 license renewal fee. Can I get a refund?
The Board will not issue any refunds for 2021 license renewals that have been paid. However, if a licensee has already paid their 2021 license renewal fee, then the licensee will not have to pay their renewal fee for the next renewal cycle.
- Will the fee waiver apply to an initial application fee?
No. Senate Bill 94 waives license renewal fees – not initial application fees.
- What is the impact of the fee relief for barbering and cosmetology licenses?
As a result of the Governor signing Senate Bill 94, Barbering and Cosmetology licensees will receive relief from annual license fees over the next two years amounting to a total of $25.6 million.