The Best Job in the World
I've heard it said, "Get a job you love and you will never work a day in your life." After more than two decades in the beauty biz, I must admit, I haven't worked a single day! Personally, for those of you thinking about entering into a wonderful career in cosmetology, I offer you 2 THUMBS UP.
widely as an industry expert - all of this while owning and operating Sherri's Hair Salon in Bristol, VA.
|Sherri's Hair Salon|
However, you don't have to take if from only me.
STRAIGHT FROM THE EXPERTS
US News and World Report and the Wall Street Journal, two of our nation's well-respected publications have ranked Cosmetology among top career choices scoring high in both job satisfaction and employment outlook. Among reasons cited were:
- Job with prestige: Considered artisans, we work with our hands to create a master piece for each client.
- Job with highest pay: National average salary per year (NOT including tips) is between $33,000 and $46,000.
- Least difficult training: Training can be completed (depending upon locale) in 9 months to 2 years.
- Job satisfaction: It is our job to make people feel and look beautiful.
- Best outlook in an economic crisis: The US Bureau of Labor & Statistics expects employment in the field of cosmetology to grow faster than most occupations.
- Great environment to work: Fashion forward and flexible hours are possible.
- Ability to be creative: Every day is different as we personalize style for our clients.
|On set doing makeup|
THE SKY IS THE LIMIT
As mentioned previously, there are many opportunities for growth within the beauty industry. The majority of cosmetologists work in a salon or spa. Beyond that, there is also potential for entrepreneurship with many options to start your own business with salon ownership or booth rental. For those really business minded, positions are available in sales, distribution and marketing. Teaching is an option, working either as an educator in a school or as a representative for a manufacturer, doing in salon classes and platform work. It is also possible to do hair or makeup for television, movies, and printed publications.
|On stage at Intercoiffure|
Cosmetology can be a wonderful career choice. Thank goodness for the suggestion of a dear friend who said, "You have always liked to cut hair. Why don't you go to beauty school?" After all these years, I still remain passionate about the beauty industry by continuing to grow and develop my skills.
Whether standing behind the chair in my salon, or in front of an audience of 2,000, my goal is always to "Be nice and do pretty hair."