Celebrity Hair Stylist Naz Kupelian Shares His Top Picks from 2011.
With each New Year, some things change, and others stay the same. Celebrity hair stylist Naz Kupelian and his salon team have seen it all when it comes to hair this year, from hair feathers to colorful extensions and super short haircuts sported by many celebrities. While Kupelian happily bids farewell to some of this year’s trendier styles; he welcomes a few new classics to last into the New Year. Get these looks for yourself with the help of Kupelian’s how-to guide for this year’s top ten best styles:
1. The Messy-Chic Undone Braid - Carefree yet classy, the undone braid was a hit in 2011. This look is versatility at its best, special enough for a party yet easy enough to pull off the morning after a night out. To get the look sported by stars like Blake Lively, prep damp hair with a volumizing spray such as Sea Breeze from the Naz Kupelian line or the RUSK Thick Spray. Add in a small amount throughout and blow dry hair, and gather to one side, and braid loosely, making sure to leave a few wisps free.
2. Pinned-Back Perfect Half-up – From the boardroom to the ballroom, a classic half-up with loose waves was a must this year. Demonstrated by starlets like Ashley Tisdale and Lucy Hale, the keys to this look are easy curls and volume at the crown. Flex from the Naz Kupelian line or Wired from the RUSK line put in a small amount throughout before you blow dry with a round brush. Curl the hair in medium sized sections with a wide barrel curling iron or a flat iron to create a loose wave or curl. Part hair to the side, and brush back along the crown. As you secure the hair back into a half-up, press hair gently into scalp and up in the direction of the forehead to create a bit of sexy volume. Finish with the Naz Kupelian Satin Pillow Top Spray.
3. Low Twisted Bun – Let your hair frame your face while being out of the way. To steal the style sported by trendsetter Ashley Olsen, blow dry the hair with RUSK Plumping mouse or the Naz Kupelian Foaming Sea Silk Mouse to add body and hold to the hair. Leaving a few strands surrounding the face lose, part hair to the side, and sweep the length of your hair back to the base of your neck. Twist hair into a bun, leaving some strands stray, and pin securely into place. Curl the unpinned wisps into loops and secure into the twisted bun. Use a finishing spray such as the RUSK weightless plus or Naz Kupelian Switch It Hair Spray for a finishing hold and to tame fly-aways.
4. High Sleek Pony Tail – Blow dry the hair straight by applying some RUSK Wired or Naz Kupelian Flex cream using a paddle. Flat iron the hair on the low setting and using a wide toothcomb or vent brush comb everything back in to the high ponytail. Finish the look with the Naz Kupelian Hair Polish or the RUSK Sheer brilliance to add texture and shine.
5. Retro Wave –Countless stars, like Angelina Jolie, Scarlet Johansson and Megan Fox have appeared on the red carpet channeling sexy stars of the past with this glamorous wave. To do the same, start with damp hair. Add mouse to the roots for hold. With a large round brush pull hair up and away, and blast with heat from the dryer for volume and shine. Make a deep side part, and using a big curling iron, wrap 1-inch strands of hair around the barrel and towards the face. Alternate the direction of the curls and use a working spray to brush all the curls into place.
6. Shiny, Soft Curls – For touchable, luminous curls at any length like Emma Stone and Nicole Richie, prep hair with an argon oil such as RUSK Sheer brilliance or Pyloon by Naz Kupelian. Dry in sections with a paddle brush to create an initial soft blowout. Add shine and eliminate frizz by sealing the hair follicle with a straightening iron. Now for the curl: put a wave through the hair with a one-inch iron, starting from the middle of the shaft and working down. After the curls have set, finger comb them through and add light hair spray.
7. “Straight Up” Down-do –. To get strands stick straight and sleek like Gwyneth Paltrow, work a small amount of RUSK Straight or Sleek by Naz Kupelian into wet hair, making sure to get the ends. With a vent brush dry small sections of the head, pulling each strand straight and applying heat with the dryer. Go over the hair with a flat iron while using the RUSK thermal flat iron spray. Finish with RUSK Shinning Mist or the Naz Kupelian Gimmie Shine Spray, spray all over on the ends.
8. Power Pixie – It may be called a pixie cut, but it takes a bold woman to pull it off. If you’re looking for a big style update, ask your stylist for a short, soft, wispy-layered cut that frames the face with piecey bangs. Michelle Williams and Emma Watson fearlessly pull of the gamine look, showing the world their pretty faces. Kupelian recommends RUSK Wired or Flex by Naz Kupelian to cocktail together before blow-drying the hair and adding separation and texture.
9. Bold Side Bang – Sweet and sexy, the side-swept bang softens the forehead and draws attention to the eyes. To get the cut, have your stylist start the shortest length near the brow, and add longer layers going down towards the ear. Kupelian recommends the RUSK Texturizing weaving sheers to achieve this look. To style bangs with a straight finish, dry with a paddle brush, pulling away from the face and part.
10. Sleek A-Line Bob – For a short look that now frames many a famous face, from Jennifer Aniston to Victoria Beckham, ask for the A-Line bob upgrade. To achieve the perfect cut, have your stylist to trim your tresses slightly above the neck in the back, and to just above the collar bone in the front. Cut in some long layers to make the haircut dynamic. When styling, blow-dry with a large vent brush, adding volume and a touch of light-hold hairspray and part just off center.
Celebrity hair stylist Naz Kupelian is an internationally renowned hair artist, Rusk creative team member and platform artist.
[Image: Jordan Strauss/WireImage/Getty Images]
Related: Braids Are All The Rage | WATCH: Braids with Jason Stanton | Glam Up Your New Year's Eve | EMMY HAIR: Nancy O'Dell's Wrapped Ponytail | Marion Cotillard’s Curvy, Retro 'Do | New Lengths | Sculpt Fabulous Fringe with Simplicity Graft Extensions | Ali Larter's New Short Bob
Read Launchpad, the magazine for hair salon professionals, in our digital edition • Get the latest on professional beauty products • Post your hairstyles in our Users' Style Galleries • Read The Colorist, the magazine for professional haircolorists, in our digital edition (bimonthly Jan/Feb 2012) thecoloristmag.com • Subscribe to Launchpad—print, digital or both • Subscribe to The Colorist—print, digital or both