The 2020 edition of Sports Clips Haircuts’ National Huddle Awards was hosted online over the course of several weeks in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.
According to the company, the annual event, which focuses on business updates, training, education, celebration and awards, was initially scheduled to take place in San Antonio, Texas.
Top award winners included:
- Area Developer of the Year: John Kohler of Chicago, Illinois
- Area Managers of the Year (a three-way tie): Candy Baldwin of Lubbock, Texas; Rose Green of Georgetown, Texas; and Tessa Lee of Chandler, Arizona
- Coach of the Year: Chris Cash of Cullman, Alabama
- Team Leaders of the Year: Wayne Freeman & Quentin Hurst of Olathe, Kansas
- Logan Trophy (the system’s highest award): Dan & Angie Roberts of Omaha, Nebraska
Edward Logan, Sport Clips CEO, stated, “Even in tough times with locations temporarily closing and thousands of stylists and team members furloughed, spirits and confidence in the Sport Clips system we’ve built together is still going strong. So, for the first time we made the call to honor successes of individuals and stores over the previous year through ‘live’ virtual awards recognition. Our support center teams and franchisee-involved task forces have worked diligently to keep stylists engaged through online training and outreach, franchisees’ businesses well-supported, and mindfully plan re-openings. As closures began to be lifted, timing was right to celebrate the growth and energy Sport Clips experienced in 2019 and early 2020 with acknowledgments and awards.
“One of the best outcomes of hosting online was the newfound access for all team members and their families to experience the honors in real-time. The Huddle is usually attended by 3,500 team members, so the remaining thousands of stylists back home learn of the awards after-the-fact. The positive response to hosting it online will likely develop into simulcasting the Huddle awards in the future, opening the event up to the entire system.”