“Balayage was popular this summer because it created natural dimension that was soft and beautiful, but now that it’s fall, we’re turning to demi-permanents to offer different shades and tones… They can be applied right to existing color to either deepen, control or add more pigment,” says Arielle Calamari, stylist at Aurelio Salon (Howell and Toms River, NJ).
“A lot of clients are asking me to blend their color now that it’s fall, so instead of turning to ombré and balayage, I’m turning to demi-permanents to create deeper, darker, richer colors that are not just bright on the ends,” adds Alicia Kiwacz, stylist at Aurelio Salon, who thinks deep dark browns with subtle amber hues, rich warm tones of gold, caramel and mahogany, butterscotch-wheat blonde, and metallic reds will be the hot colors for fall.
Get the Look:
Client had a natural level of 6N new growth and was previously glazed with Goldwell Colorance using 3 different formulas to create the idea of a color melt. The previous formula and current canvas consisted of: 6R+7RR max (Roots) 7KR+7KG (Mid-shaft) 8K+9KG (Ends).
Client showed Kiwacz a picture of a vibrant red ombré with more violet. She wanted her hair to blend, but she did not want super highlighted hair at the top. The goal was to subtly blend from root color to brightly colored ends.
- Paint highlights into hair using Goldwell Oxycur Lightener with 10 volume developer.
- Begin by sectioning hair into pie sections, the center of the pie beginning at the crown.
- From these sections take slices and paint hair on each side, blending into the ends.
- Color roots with Goldwell Colorance 5BV and blend into the lightened pieces.
- After lightening and shampooing, apply Goldwell Topchic 7RR max and RR with 10 volume developer on the lightened pieces to provide a vibrant base or final glaze of Goldwell Colorance 6VV max and little bit of 5VA.
- For an ultra-smooth finish, advise clients to use a deep conditioning treatment twice a week to improve the cuticle surface. KMS California MOIST REPAIR Therapy Treatment penetrates deeply to reconstruct damaged hair, and restores luster and strengthens hair after only one use. Just apply to shampooed hair, comb through, leave on for 3-5 minutes and rinse.