Celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Ashlee Simpson, Jamie King, Lauren Conrad and Katy Perry are having fun with the trend that can be bright and exciting or subtle and unexpected. Patrick McIvor, Matrix Artistic Director, gives tips on how to do it:
1. Section hair and visually select the hair to Dip Dye, clip the rest up.
2. Divide section as needed, apply Matrix SOCOLOR Permanent Cream Color, SoRed, HD Color Technology Reds or Matrix V-Light De-Dusted Lightener depending on final color desired, to the bottom 3-5 inches of hair (depending on desired effect) and wrap in foil.
3. Continue working in fine sub-sections through selected sections until finished.
4. Remove foils once desired lightness is achieved with Matrix V-Light or the color has been fully processed, rinse, shampoo and condition with Matrix Biolage colorcarethérapie.
5. If lightened first with Matrix V-Lights, tone or glaze with Matrix Color. Sync Seamless Crème Demi-Color or Logics Imprint Demi-Permanent Haircolor (in desired color) and let process.
6. Rinse, shampoo, condition and style.
The result is color dipped ends…and the best part is, there’s no need for retouches! They can be grown out or refreshed as needed.
[Image: Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic/GettyImages]
Related: Go Bold with Colorful Celebrity-Inspired Hues | WATCH: Hair Color Perfection | Rock the Purple for Domestic Violence Prevention | ColorAmerica in the Company of Patrick McIvor | Tech Tips from Patrick McIvor: Following Video Posts on YouTube